Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Stick It

In difficult times often many of us feel despair and indifference towards those who chose to ignore the obvious. We can feel as a ship in the night, adrift with no barings or instruments. Yes, I've felt this way, I struggle not too. I know that many others have felt these things as well.
While it's true that, "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little" - Edmond Burke - we who do a little, what we can, can feel as though no one is listening. But to my excitement, there are those who listen, and more, there are those who speak the gospel with elegance and purpose and volume.

The "Stick it" speech from the television program Boston Legal fits this latter column. To my surprise, James Spader's character, in his closing arguments for a first amendment trial, completely and eloquently articulates the attrition of our personal freedoms, the intrusion of our government into our personal lives, and the totaltalarian opposition to those who speak out against our government’s gigantic blunders - both Democratic and Republican.
I found his speech, although fictional, a temporary allay to the indifference I sometimes feel towards my fellow citizens.

It's worth a listen. The segment is titled, “ Stick It: closing arguments”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home