Friday, March 03, 2006



An Introductin to Clean Elections












Clean Elections, also called Clean Money is a term given by its proponents to describe a system of public financing of political campaigns (a form of campaign finance reform), which is currently being advocated and implemented on the state level in the United States. Some form of Clean Elections legislation has been adopted, mostly through ballot initiatives, in Maine, Arizona, North Carolina, New Mexico, Vermont, and Massachusetts (though in the latter two it has been weakened or repealed).

Clean Elections was passed by the Connecticut state legislature and signed by the Governor in December of 2005. Two municipalities in 2005, Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Portland, Oregon have also passed Clean Elections for municipal elections.Under a Clean Elections system, candidates hoping to receive public financing must collect a certain number of small "qualifying contributions" (often as little as $5) from registered voters. In return, they are paid a flat sum by the government to run their campaign, and agree not to raise money from private sources.

Clean Elections candidates who are outspent by privately-funded opponents may receive additional public matching funds.Because the system is voluntary, it appears not to run afoul of the United States Supreme Court's Buckley v. Valeo decision, which struck down mandatory spending limits as an unconstitutional restriction on free speech.


Impressive Statistics Latest accomplishments of Clean Elections Nationwide, especially in Maine and Arizona (based on the November 2002 election, which was Maine and Arizona's 2nd statewide clean election, the first being in 2000).


Clean Election Essentials How Do Full Publicly Funded (Clean) Elections Work?


Who Endorses Clean Elections? "Clean Elections" is endorsed by these individuals and organizations.



















Other Organizations Links to Organizations Working To Advance the Cause of Clean Elections




Cost Analysis This is the cost analysis done by Just6dollars.org, showing that full public financing of federal elections for just $6 per US citizen.

6 Comments:

Blogger Citizen S said...

THis is a great idea and I wish it could be implemented on the national level where it's really needed. I will check all the links later!
I just discovered that my state (MN) is calling this FACE or Fair and Clean Elections and that some pro-Life group is opposing it, as it our Republican governor. I'm going to look into it more closely so I can help them get this off the ground here.

6:16 AM  
Blogger MDConservative said...

In some cases I think I agree with the reforms, but the next morning I wake up and feel that they may go too far. I still need to be sold on one, and I don't think I have seen one that is fair to politicians as well as me the voter that may desire to mortgage my house for a candidate. In addition I don’t think it is fair to be giving my tax dollars to any democrat (don’t want them elected, especially using my money), or the other way around for the other side of the aisle. **Scratch that I don’t want my money going to someone that is just a republican, across the board I want to decide where my money goes. Every time this stuff comes up it just looks like a Government run welfare for political campaigns. I don’t like that.

And in all honesty I will admit that I doubt my view will change, no matter how many studies I look at. I personally don’t like the idea and would stand by that. President Reagan and Bush could come to me in my dreams and tell me to go along, it would be one of the few times I would say “nope.” (Yes they are in my dreams, we have a weekly poker game in my head) lol No matter where the message comes from it just does not matter, I think everyone should be able to spend their money where and how they wish in a legal way. Obviously if it becomes law, yes it should be followed.

The main reason for my post is I like the 2 cartoons. They are some of the first clean and meaningful political ones so far! Good find Van.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Van said...

Thanks for the comment, I would shout this from the roof tops if I could.

I think that it's the answer to a lot of the problems in D.C, but like all movements from the people, it must start locally, then move to a national conscienceness.

Why would a Pro-life group oppose Clean Elections? Perhaps they fell as though they would lose influence?

7:59 AM  
Blogger Van said...

Hi MD - I'm not foolish enough to think that I would change your mind, but I do think that you main issue is perception, not policy.

When you pay your taxes, they are no longer yours, they belong to the common body of government that we all share - (I'm not looking for a fight, just stating my view)So, since we live in a majority rules government the taxes, in all praticality, belong to the majority once you pay them. I know that this is a technicality, but worth mentioning, I think.

There are many government programs that I wish that I could opt out of, but it's just not possible, like NAFTA for instance. The more that I learn about NAFTA, the more I think, " I didn't sign up for this".



On a lighter, what if Barry Goldwater came to you in a dream, would you consider Clean Elections then? - lol.

8:08 AM  
Blogger MDConservative said...

I understand the technical aspect that it is not "mine" anymore. But I see a big difference in paying for welfare, the military, roads, etc...and giving it to people to win elections to in the end control the above.

Giving people money, to control the money. I just don't like it. I am sure some great people use it right and are doing a good job in the end. But even with that, I just don't like the concept.



That is a tough one. While he did rise in the ranks to major-general, he was never President. In the end no.

Sometimes us right-wingers go out on our own and have an opinion of our very own that we are willing to stand by. lol

11:08 AM  
Blogger Van said...

MD - as usual I appreciate you comments.

You wrote:
"Giving people money, to control the money. I just don't like it. I am sure some great people use it right and are doing a good job in the end. But even with that, I just don't like the concept"

But what convinced me is the amount of money which would be required to have Clean Elections is D.C.

I think that the figure is $6.00 per working person per year. Not bad, that's not a lot of money for a politician (Dem or Rep) who is not beholded to special interests (conservative or liberal).

Incidetally, the Republicans still have a majority in AZ, eventhough 75% were elected on Clean Money.

But we'll have to agree to disagree.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home