Friday, June 02, 2006

A Short Hiatus

I'll need to ease up on blogging until next week. I'm tenting my home for termites.

For those who don't know, tenting is a process where an exterminator covers your home with a large heavy tent, the fumagation tent usually resembles a circus tent in that it has red and yellow or red and white stripes or some variation of primary colors. But unlike a bigtop circus, it's not a happy place inside.

The exterminator fumigates the home under the canopy for about 24 hours, thereby destroying all and anything living inside.
In my case, we have termites, and yes we're leaving.

But we also have palmetto bugs. Palmetto Bugs are a nasty creature that resembles a cockroach, but it is much bigger, about 2 inches. It fly’s toward you when you try to kill it, meanwhile making a loud ominous flapping noise. Oh yeah, and they bite too.
But we live in Florida, and in Florida everyone has Palmetto bugs.

We own a Craftsman Period bungalow; it's sits on a brick foundation and is therefore elevated by about two feet. The foundation has many openings for air flow, the home was built over 75 years ago when central air was not standard, so naturally we have all sorts of critters living under our house, mostly fruit rats and king snakes, and they’ll be killed too.


Nearly every home owner in Florida has fruit rats. They're called rats, but really they are more like large mice. Fruit rats are attracted to fruit trees. Many Florida neighborhoods are a cornucopia of fruit tress and other tropicals.

Unfortunately tenting is just one of the many hidden costs that we pay to live in Florida.
But it’s worth it.

OR

Maybe I should just get a Pangolin.

Pangolins - large-tongued tanks Digging for ants and termites with their strong claws and large tongue, the pangolins have little to fear, except humans. They can curl up into a ball and their razor sharp claws provide extra defense.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you sleep at night knowing these palmeto bugs are crawling around?

Just thinking about it makes me squirm!

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bugs must suck (glad you're getting rid of them), but the King snakes would bother me. WOuldn't want any snakes being able to possibly worm their way up and into my house...THAT would REALLY suck.

I've been bit by a number of non-venomous snakes (mostly water snakes) and it's no fun getting tagged by anything over three feet, cause they can pack a wallop with those sharp teeth.

Good luck with the tenting!

2:00 PM  
Blogger MDConservative said...

That stinks, good luck with that. And hope you have a good weekend.

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Florida is the land of Gators, bugs, and old people.

I don't envy you.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeebus, this post gives me the willies.

Colorado here I come.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Van said...

Anon - I can't leppt anyway due to the baby. I curse the inventor of the baby monitor.

CP - I already have 2 dogs, we don't need any more creatures to care for, but thanks.

MD - Thanks, it does stink, but everyone with a stick frame house has to tent every 5 to 10 years.
We stopped treating for pests when the baby was born, due to the chemicals and danger of inestion. So this is over due. The baby is old enough for us to stay in a hotel for 4 nights without having to worring about what he's into, so now is the time.

Except for all of the crazies, and beleive me there are many, the hurricanes (and I don't mean the Miami college team) and all of the crazy bugs, Florida is a great place to live.

I was kidding about the crazies, sort of, but it does seem like there are alot of weird people in Florida, especially for a guy from the Hudson Valley where people are incredibly normal.

JMK - Yes, the bugs do suck. I forgot to mention the beatles and spiders.

I don't minkd the snakes so much, but they do get into the homes. My neighbor called me a couple nights ago, frantic, she had a black snake in her laundry room. It was at least 3 feet. It wraped itself around the hot water heater, I just chased it out side with a broom.

I killed a baby rattle last summer, it was in my family room - an addition to my home that is not on the main foundation. It found it's way in somehow, we were putting down new ceramic tile and the snake hid behind the tile boxes. It scared the hell out of my wife, she couldn't sleep for days.

I've never been bit by any though, guess I've been lucky.

Hi Kate - thanks for stoping by, sorry to creep you out.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Citizen S said...

Van - I hope your tenting method works. Termites sound awful.

By the way -- I put 1/2 of your trickle-down economics guest recording in this latest one.... thanks again. Part II in next week's.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Van said...

Thanks Shelly, I'll be sure to listen as soon as I get a chance.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home